A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

GUSSAGE (ST. MICHAEL), a parish in the hundred of BADBURY, though locally in the hundred of Knowlton, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Cranborne, containing 246 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £20. 0. 2½., and in the patronage of J. and R. Randell, Esqrs. The church is a handsome edifice, with a lofty embattled tower. On the line of the London road, near Cashmore Inn, is the easternmost of seven earth-works, supposed to have been thrown up by the Belgæ across the road between this and Tarrant-Hinton, which afford reason for the opinion that the neighbourhood was the scene of some remarkable action in the time of the ancient Britons.

Volume 2, page 283

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

©2000 The Dorset Page