A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

FORDINGTON, a parish in the liberty of FORDINGTON, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, a mile (E.S.E.) from Dorchester, containing 1275 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 15, and in the patronage of the Prebendary of Fordington in the Cathedral Church of Salisbury. The church, dedicated to St. George, is an ancient cruciform structure, partly of Norman and partly of English architecture.

This place anciently formed part of the town of Dorchester, and derived its name from the ford over the river Frome, across which there are now several bridges in the neighbourhood. In the 29th of Edward III., Queen Isabel procured a grant of a market on Tuesdays, and a fair on the eve, day, and morrow of St. George. In the parish are many barrows, some of them very large; and Roman coins are frequently ploughed up. In 1747, above two hundred skeletons, the supposed remains of those who fell in the Danish wars, were discovered at the depth of four or five feet, the skulls being remarkably thick, and many of the teeth very sound: they were re-interred in the church-yard, or in pits dug on the place. Many other skeletons have been found, from time to time, in this neighbourhood.

Volume 2, page 193

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page