A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

FLEET, a parish in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Weymouth, containing 132 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 5. 6. 8., endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 200 royal bounty. J. Gould, Esq. was patron in 1802. The church is a small ancient edifice dedicated to the Holy Trinity. The parish is supposed to take its name from its situation near the Fleet water. A market and fair were granted in the 28th of Henry III., which have been discontinued.

Volume 2, page 187

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page