A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

FARRINGDON, a chapelry in the parish of IWERNE-COURTNAY, hundred of REDLANE, Sturminster division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (S.S.W.) from Shaftesbury. The population is returned with the parish.

The chapel is dedicated to St. Mary. Farringdon, anciently Ferendone, is mentioned in the Inquisitio Gheldi, as giving name to a hundred, which in after times was transferred to Redlane. There is a medicinal spring in the neighbourhood.

Volume 2, page 173

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page