|CRITCHELL (MOORE), a parish in the
hundred of BADBURY, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 6
miles (S.W. by W.) from Cranborne,
containing 267 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, united in 1774
to the rectory of Long Critchell, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and
diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at £10. 9. 7. The church,
dedicated to All Saints, is a small ancient fabric, having at the west
end an embattled tower, with a porch of modern erection: it had a
chantry well endowed with certain messuages and land, one hundred sheep,
and twelve hogs, by John de Bridport, in the 2nd of Edward
III., for a chaplain to pray daily for his soul.
Volume 1, page 512