A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

CRITCHELL (LONG), a parish in the hundred of KNOWLTON, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (W. S.W.) from Cranborne, containing 108 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, with which the rectory of Moore-Critchell, was united in 1774, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 12. 13. 8. Charles Sturt, Esq. was patron in 1820. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower at the west end, with a massive buttress on its north side, in which there is a niche, and beneath it three shields much defaced. Long Critchell, which received its distinguishing appellative from its greater length in comparison with the adjoining parish of Moore-Critchell, is divided into two tythings, called Critchell-Gouis and Critchell-Lucy, so called from their ancient lords.

Volume 1, page 512

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page