A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

COOMBE-KEYNES, a parish in the hundred of WINFRITH, Blandford (South) division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Wareham, containing 128 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 13. 18. 11. John Bond, Esq. was patron in 1795. The church, dedicated to the Holy Rood, has a chancel in the early style of English architecture. There is a chapel of ease at Wool, in this parish. The court leet is held by the tenure that the tything-man shall proceed to do suit at Winfrith court, repeating a few doggerel lines, and paying a fine of threepence. There is a small endowed school.

Volume 1, page 476

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page