A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

COMPTON-ABBAS, or WEST COMPTON, a parish in the hundred of CERNE, TOTCOMBE, and MODBURY, Cerne sub-division of the county of DORSET, 9 miles (W.N.W.) from Dorchester, containing 80 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 8. 0. 5. J. T. Basket, Esq. was patron in 1827. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. Compton-Abbas derives its adjunct from having once formed part of the possessions of Milton abbey, and is termed West Compton from its relative position to East Compton.

Volume 1, page 471

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page