A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

COMPTON-ABBAS, a parish in that part of the hundred of SIXPENNY-HANDLEY which is in the Shaston (West) division of the county of DORSET, 3 miles (S. by E.) from Shaftesbury, containing 368 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 9. 10. 2. D. R. Mitchell, Esq. was patron in 1800. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a small ancient edifice. The village is situated in a combe, or vale, whence it derives its name, and received its adjunct from having formed part of the endowment of Shaston abbey.

Volume 1, page 471

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page