A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

CHILCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Bridport, containing 22 inhabitants.

The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 4. 11. 8., endowed with 600 royal bounty, and 200 parliamentary grant. The Rev. E. Foyle was patron in 1785. This parish is bounded on the south by the river Bride, or Bredy.

On the summit of a steep hill to the northward, are vestiges of an ancient intrenchment, enclosing three barrows; from its partaking both of the Roman and Saxon modes of fortification, it is supposed to have been originally constructed by the former, and extended by the latter. The Knights Hospitallers had possessions here, with a quadrangular mansion, now a farm-house.

Volume 1, page 412

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page