A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

CHEDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of BEAMINSTER-FORUM and REDHONE, Bridport division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Beaminster, containing 164 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 8. 8. 4., and in the patronage of William Hodges Cox, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. James.

Chedington is an upland and healthful village, with scarcely a level field within the bounds of the parish ; the eminences afford rich views over the counties of Devon, Dorset, Somerset, and Wilts, and partially of the English channel. On a hill are the remains of a Roman encampment; and in the fields below it, the site of a Roman villa. The river Axe separates the parish on the south and south-east from that of Beaminster.

Volume 1, page 382

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page