A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

CATTISTOCK, a parish in the hundred of CERNE, TOTCOMBE, and MODBURY, Cerne sub-division of the county of DORSET, 9 miles (N.W.) from Dorchester, containing 382 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 13. 13. 9. P. Broadley, Esq. was patron in 1815. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. On a hill in the eastern part of the parish is an ancient circular fortification of about four acres, called the Castle, surrounded by a double rampart, with entrances at the north-east and west: towards the middle of the area the ground rises into a long barrow; and near the north entrance is a round tumulus, the top of which consists of flint stones.

Volume 1, page 362

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page