A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

CANFORD (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of COGDEAN, Shaston (East) division of the county of DORSET, comprising the chapelry of Kingston, and the tythings of Great Canford, Longfleet, and Parkston, and containing 2696 inhabitants, of which number, 882 are in the tything of Great Canford, 2 miles (S.E. by E.) from Wimborne-Minster.

The living is a vicarage, and a royal peculiar (including the town and county of the town of Poole, which was formerly in this parish), within the jurisdiction of the lord of the manor, rated in the king's books at 11. 9. 9. G. T. Brice, Esq. was patron in 1826. The church is a small building on a singular plan; it has a nave and a chancel, with a north aisle to each, and the tower is situated between these two aisles; there is also a south aisle to the nave and a south chapel to the chancel: one hundred and sixty one additional sittings, one hundred and twenty-one of which are free, have been recently erected, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having granted 100 for that purpose. The river Stour is navigable on the north of this parish, where it is crossed by a bridge on the Poole and Wimborne road.

Volume 1, page 336

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page