A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

BREDY (LITTLE), a chapelry in that part of the parish of LONG BREDY which is in the hundred of UGGSCOMBE, Dorchester division of the county of DORSET, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Dorchester, containing, with the hamlet of Kingston-Russell, which is extra parochial, 205 inhabitants. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael. Here is a large quarry, from which the stone for erecting Winterborne abbey was obtained. The river Bridy has its source in this chapelry; and there is a small lake, called Bride Head, near which is a Druidical circle of stones.

Volume 1, page 221

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page