A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

BLOXWORTH, a parish in the hundred of COOMBS-DITCH, Blandford (North) division of the county of DORSET, 5 miles (N.N.W.) from Wareham, containing 210 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Dean of Salisbury, rated in the king's books at 15. 7. 1. J. Pickard, Esq. was patron in 1781. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. On a hill, called Woolsbarrow, situated on the heath, about a mile toward the east, are vestiges of a small fortification, supposed to be of Danish origin, the ramparts and trenches of which may be traced; near it there are several tumuli.

Volume 1, page 175

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page