A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

BLANDFORD (ST. MARY), a parish in the hundred of COOMBS-DITCH, Blandford (northern) division of the county of DORSET, of a mile (S.) from Blandford-Forum, containing 358 inhabitants.

The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, rated in the king's books at 15. 17. 8. The Rev. T. Burrough was patron in 1799. The church, with the exception of the tower, was rebuilt in 1711. Browne Willis, L. L. D., the celebrated antiquary, was born here, September 14th, 1682: he died at Whaddon Hall, in Buckinghamshire, February 5th, 1760, and was interred in the chapel at Fenny Stratford, which had been built chiefly through his exertions in soliciting contributions.

Volume 1, page 170

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page