A Topographical Dictionary of England, Samuel Lewis, London 1831

Dorsetshire

Introduction Locations People Back

ARNE, a chapelry in the parish of the HOLY TRINITY, WAREHAM, hundred of HASSILOR, BLANDFORD (southern) division of the county of DORSET, 4 miles (E. by N.) from Wareham, containing 134 inhabitants.

The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Dorset, and diocese of Bristol, and in the patronage of the Rector of Wareham. The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas. The village stands on the shore of Poole harbour, between Wareham and Brownsey Island. On the summit of an eminence connected with a bank of gravel or pebbles, extending north eastward into the harbour, there is a large barrow, which has been used as a beacon.

Volume 1, page 42

Back
Monitor page
for changes
    
   it's private   

by ChangeDetection

2000 The Dorset Page